Sunday Ball Roast
This roast is made slowing in the oven over a few hours which preserves its juiciness.
- 3-pound Pomponio beef ball roast
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Place the ball roast on a wire rack in a roasting pan or sheet pan.
- Rub with salt and pepper.
- Place the diced onion and slice carrots next to or under the wire rack.
- Roast the meat for 10 minutes at 450 degrees then lower the oven to 180 degrees.
- Roast the beef for a 3 hours or until its internal temperature reaches 128 degrees for medium rare or 138 for medium to well done. Keep in mind that with the shape of the beef the smaller end will be more medium so if several people like medium rare it is best to remove the roast at 128 because it will keep cooking due to carryover heat.
- Remove the meat from the roasting pan and place on a serving platter. Allow to sit for 10 minutes before carving.
Note: If you are in a hurry you can always increase the temperature
- To make the pan gravy start by adding 2 cups of water to the pan with the drippings and the onions and carrots.
- Simmer for 10 minutes then strain out the liquid into a small sauce pan.
- Thicken with 2 teaspoons of cornstarch and ¼ cup water.
- Bring to a boil then keep warm until ready to serve.
Carve the roast and serve with the pan gravy on the size.