Pomponio Ranch Dijon Crusted Hickory Smoked Ham
Recipe By: Signe Ostby
1-4.5lb. Pomponio Ranch Ham Butt or Shank
1-6oz Jar Dijon Mustard
1-16oz bag Dark Brown Sugar
½ cup Brandy
2 tsp Fresh Cracked Pepper
2 tsp Sea Salt
1 bunch Fresh Rosemary
1 Bunch Fresh Thyme
2 Fennel Bulbs with Fronds
1lb. Unsalted Butter
An Oven, set to 300F
1 Roasting Pan
1 Cutting Board
1- 8” Chef’s Knife
1 Microplane Tool (for zesting)
1 Medium Size Stainless Steel Bowl
1 Medium Whisk
1 Ladle or Turkey Baster
The Mise en Place…
- Using your Microplane, zest the 2 oranges into the bowl. Reserve the rest of the oranges for later.
- Using your whisk, combine the Dijon Mustard, orange zest, freshly cracked pepper, sea salt, Brandy and Dark Brown Sugar. Whisk until smooth.
- Smother your Ham with the Dijon/Sugar mixture thoroughly and place in your roasting pan.
- Using your knife and cutting board, cut your oranges in half, and squeeze them into the roasting pan, then put the oranges into the pan.
- Also, rough julienne the fennel bulbs and fronds and scatter them around the ham in the roasting pan.
- Then, scatter your herbs around the ham, on top of your fennel fronds
- Lastly, cut up the unsalted butter and divvy them up around the ham.
Whilst in the Oven…
- Place the roasting pan uncovered in the oven set to 300F
- Roast, uncovered for 2 hours
- Use a ladle or turkey baster to baste every 15 minutes after the first hour has elapsed.
- Take the ham out and let it rest about 10 minutes with a tented piece of tinfoil.
- Note: You can strain the remaining liquid with a chinois (fine mesh strainer) into a small stock pot and reduce by half, on medium heat to produce a flavorful and aromatic glaze for your plate presentation.
- Slice about ¼- ½ “ thick, and serve